Hannah’s Garden needs you! On April 20th, 2019 from 11:00 am until 1:00 pm we will begin preparing for this year’s harvest. We have several projects to choose from, and we would be grateful for any assistance provided. The opportunities are as follows;
1. Raised Bed Repairs – The raised beds have some wood that needs replacing. If you are handy with a saw and drill, this project is perfect for you. People needed 4
2. Raised Bed Cleaning – The planters need cleaning from weeds and the soil turned over. People required – 10
3. Raised Bed Filling – The planters will need materials added to them, fertilizer, worm castings, peat moss, plant food, soil. Volunteers needed 10
4. Planting- This is the fun part, the planting. We will plant tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow squash, zucchini squash, broccoli, and cabbage. Besides, we will have a variety of herbs, rosemary, thyme, cilantro, basil, tarragon to start. This year we are excited to grow potatoes in a barrel; you do not want to miss this.
Here’s what you will need;
Clothes you don’t mind getting dirty
Your tools for planting
Here’s what COMYC will provide;
Wood and screws for repair
All garden box material
Lunch! Yes, lunch is on us. RSVP here so we can prepare for you.
- Date: Saturday, April 20th
- Time: 11 am – 2 pm
- Address: 2263 Mount View Place SE Washington DC, 20020
- Contact: Howie email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lunch is provided
If you are interested, sign up here
If you are unable to attend, don’t worry you can still be a part of this great work we have good news. Just click on the donate button or email us at email@example.com and ask about the benefits of sponsoring a planter.
The Children of Mine Youth Center
Community Breakfast Needs You!
About The Program:
Inside The Gates
It is not uncommon for one statement to have different meanings. It’s always a matter of context and at times even perspective can give the same word or words different meanings. Today, in the Anacostia community we have been introduced to a different meaning of the same words within the same community. “Inside the Gates” has long been known for the Summer League Basketball that takes place at The Goodman League courts.
On a steamy summer night in the Southeast corridor of the city I found a community event that has been going strong for the past 20 years. When you look around you can see friends who have grown up in this familiar place. The atmosphere feels like family. You will undoubtedly encounter some people that perhaps you don’t know personally, yet they will talk to you as if you have been here always. What a sense of community and pride it is to experience the feeling “Inside the Gate”!
Approximately 1/4 mile away “Inside the Gate” has a different meaning. The other “gate” is the home of the Children of Mine Youth Center. It is a safe haven for youth from the ages of 4-17, where mentoring, learning and youth development takes place. For over 30 years COMYC has been an important part of the Anacostia community by providing food to families, resources for the homeless and a safe haven for children.
There is one clear message that echoes “Inside the Gates” from both perspectives and it is simply this… Service to the community, and being a community is important to both. The reputation and long standing commitment to the Anacostia community demonstrates their passion, love and devotion to making the world a better place. “Inside the Gates” may mean different things at each specific location, but their purpose is the same!
A big thanks to Commissioner Miles, Newt, The Goodman League family and D.C. Parks and Recreation.
“The Cost of Real Love is No Charge”